I'm a backend web developer with over 15 years of experience. I'm currently the Director of Development at
Delta Systems. I started working with Delta in 2007 when I still lived in
Columbia, MO. I now work remotely from Oak Park, IL, just outside Chicago.
I mostly work in PHP. I'm a Zend Certified Engineer
in both PHP and Zend Framework. I've contributed patches to many PHP projects. I've
given talks on code quality at WordCamp Chicago. And I've done countless presentations to our dev team at Delta about various tools and concepts.
I'm the lead developer of a library called Dewdrop that allows
Delta to use our skills in working with Zend Framework, Symfony and Laravel in our custom WordPress plugin development
projects. I think there are many opportunties in combining the vibrancy of the WordPress community with the best practices
and concepts underlying the broad PHP backend development community.
One client I've worked with for years that I believe is particularly illustrative of my work is the
True/False Film Fest. True/False is an amazing documentary film fest held annually
in Columbia, MO. For 6 years now, I've managed their web presence. I've developed a database system called FestMaker
that manages film submissions, guests, sponsors, and films. I've created a volunteer management system called DoGooder that is used at several festivals and events around the country. I wrote Android and iOS apps using Cordova. And I
wrote and optimized a ticket reservation system that places several hundred ticket reservations per second as the
I'm the father of a 2 year old rascal. In my free time, I'm an avid trail runner, film buff and reader.
# Delta Systems
Director of Development - 2007-Present
- WordPress, WooCommerce
- Zend Framework
- PHPUnit, phpstan, CodeSniffer
- xdebug, strace, PECL
- Qunit, Sinon, Chai
- CSS and Sass
- Git, SVN
- Custom WordPress-based crowdfunding system.
- Most successful 30-day crowdfunding campaign in history. $27M raised in 30 days.
- Major production deployment to handle traffic generated by major media attention on wired.com, techcrunch.com and tested.com.
- Custom payment processing, analytics and reporting leveraging Stripe APIs, PayPal APIs and Zapier.
- Custom ticket reservation system that processes several hundred reservations per second as the fest approaches.
- FestMaker database system for managing sponsors, guests, film submissions and reservations.
- DoGooder volunteer management system now used at several festivals around the country.
- Integration with the Shopify API for point of sale at the box office.
- Major WooCommerce deployment with 10s of thousands of SKUs.
- Sophisticated caching and performance optimization.
- Custom integration with Kount for fraud prevention.
- Patches contributed to WP AllImport to improve performance on large imports.
Open source and internal tools
- Patches contributed to major WordPress plugins like Relavanssi and WP AllImport.
- Patches contributed to other major PHP open source projects such as Zend Framework and Swat.
- Developed Dewdrop (https://github.com/DeltaSystems/dewdrop) library to allow us to use Zend and Symfony skills in the context of WordPress plugin development.
- Developed Delta CLI (https://github.com/DeltaSystems/delta-cli-tools) tools to improve QA, deployment and other developer workflows.